Campylobacter are Gram-negative bacilli responsible of an increasing number of gastro-intestinal infections, which in fact have surpassed infections by Salmonella in several European countries as incidence. 90% of the infections are caused by C. jejune and C. coli. Campylobacter’s diffusion is representing a public health problem with a significant economic impact.
Infections by Campylobacter have been associated to contaminated drinking water, milk, raw foods and occasionally poultry, especially during its handling in the food processing plants.
Liofilchem produces culture media in compliance with the ISO 11133 standard (which defines the requisites of production and quality control of culture media for the microbiology testing of food and water). The culture media produced by Liofilchem for isolating and identifying Campylobacter spp. comply with the ISO 10272 standard and include ready-to-use formulations such as:
- Campylobacter Agar Sheep Blood – for primary isolation and cultivation of Campylobacter jejuni from faecal specimens
- Campylobacter Broth - for selective pre-enrichment of Campylobacter organisms in food samples
- Campylobacter CCDA Agar - for selective isolation and colony counting of Campylobacter spp from food, water and environmental samples as well as from stool specimens.
- Campylobacter Karmali Agar - selective medium for detection of thermotolerant Campylobacter spp from clinical specimens and food samples
- Campylobacter Preston Agar - selective medium for the isolation of Campylobacter spp, from clinical and non clinical samples.
- Campylobacter Skirrow Agar - selective medium for the isolation of Campylobacter spp from clinical specimens.
and dehydrated formats such as:
- Campylobacter Agar Base
- Campylobacter Enrichment Broth Base
- Campylobacter Karmali Agar Base and relevant selective supplements.
Also, Liofilchem produces a latex test for the rapid identification of Campylobacter and lyophilized pellets under the ATCC® Licensed Derivative Programme.